Monday, April 20, 2015

Now that spring has sprung........

Spring is here at last

The time to harvest many things is at  hand.  Morels are the big push right now.  They say when the Bloodroot blooms , the morels will be popping.  So far found one bloodroot, and very few morels.  I think we need a little rain.


 Check out under recipes for some ways to use those Morels.  And also how to store them.  I may try to do some new things with them this year.  I will let you know how it goes.  For those that don't know Morels they are a mushroom that will pop up in the spring and are quite distinctive.    
     They are often found in areas where there has been flood and fire.  Both in one spot would be even better.  I tend to find them around downed trees and no real green vegetation.  If you see a field of green with lots of sun, well I would not waste the time searching. 

Once you find them you need to be sure that the little critters that may live on them are gone.   We place them in a bowl of cool water with some salt.  Let them sit for a little while and then rinse them in cool water.  To store them fresh, place them on a paper towel, then using another damp paper towel wrap them and place them in a baggie.  
     To dehydrate Morels ( I have not tried this since I have not had more Morels than I could use at one time)  set your dehydrater at 125 degrees for about 8 hrs.  They suggest cutting them in half.  Don't forget to allow them to soak in the salt water for about 10 minutes first and rinse them.   Once they are dehydrated they need to be kept in an air tight container and only need to be soaked in water to make them look like new.   

Let me know how your Morel hunting is going this year.  

No comments:

Post a Comment